If you want to get the fishing gears organized with having a quick accessibility on any point of the lake, river and sea, of course you should have quality kayak. A quality fishing kayak means it has superb stability, strong hull, multiple storage compartments, great loading capacity and of course a cushioned seat and foot braces that ensure your comfortability in fishing and prolong the fishing time. On the market you can discover numerous fishing kayaks, but does that mean all of them have the optimal usability? Of course not! You should find such a fishing kayak that has been built with the optimal usability for anglers and this is where this post comes to help you.
- 1 How You Can Choose The Right Fishing Kayak
- 2 Ten Best Fishing Kayaks For The Money
- 3 Conclusion
How You Can Choose The Right Fishing Kayak
So while you are on the market, simply you can meet with the hundred or thousand of kayaks. But it still does matter, how you can choose the right one that has been designed with the optimal usability for angling. Although, the post would help you to find the five best fishing kayaks on the market, but this guideline would help you to choose the right one for everytime you come to pick a fishing kayak on the market.
The high quality material make a kayak perfectly strength and stable while it also eliminates the fear of cracking. Since the non-inflatable kayaks have been built with polyethylene that provides the strength and stability. But when you are about to pick a high quality fishing kayak, of course the high density polyethylene on it would be great as it can make the kayak properly strength, lightweight and stable.
Although we haven’t picked the inflatable fishing kayaks as our goal was only finding and researching the top grade tough polyethylene fishing kayaks as it can tolerate the abuse while the rocks or anything beneath the shallow lakes can’t crack or damage it. Even, during the transportation the impact can’t crack the hull because of higher density in materials.
On the other hand, the inflatable kayaks depend on PVC and Tarpaulin to be made of. Mostly, the inflatable kayaks glide well over the flat water and it would have to struggle to tolerate the abuse, like when it is being affected by the rocks of beneath of the shallow lakes and the wavy water. But, they are great for excursions on the flat water and if you apply them in rigorous conditions they can be leaked. So, for fishing, polyethylene kayaks are obviously better than inflatable kayaks.
Stability is everything on a kayak. Because no anglers want to get the kayak tilted down when they stand up on it or paddle through the wave or rough water. Especially when you fish on the shore and stream, the condition of the water sometime would be unfair, so a stable a kayak on these conditions would provide a great support that you need on those moments.
Although I should clarify that the most stable kayaks are naturally optimized with less tracking ability. Because the wideness completely determines the stability. A wider kayak tends to be stable on any condition of the water, because, the base creates a wider contact with the water and most of the time the wider hull respectively includes a wide base for the retention of stability. On the other hand, the slim hull includes the V shape base with a slim deck what fastens the speed and tracking ability. But that doesn’t mean the slim kayak has minimal stability. It also has adequate stability. The manufacturer just keeps the hull slim to add the extra tracking ability.
No anglers go alone on fishing as they need to carry many things, like a fishing cooler, fishing bag, fishing gloves, fishing hats, gears, drinks, foods and snacks. So you need the dry storage compartments and a tank with bungee to store these items. So simply check out that the kayak has these things to provide the optimal support.
You don’t want to sink down or lose the balance (=D) with the gears and catches. You must ensure that the kayak can float independently and comfortably with you, your gears and catches. So go through the features before picking a kayak to literally ensure the loading capacity of it.
A comfy or cushioned seat can ensure that the body part won’t be fatigued after having a long time on the kayak. So make sure the seat on the kayak has proper paddings to provide the optimal back and body support. You can also check the seat has adjustable straps, so you can reposition the back of the seat for the most comfortable position you want.
A rod holder not only saves a user from manual maintenance and hand fatigue, but also it grabs the rod seriously while the lured fish can’t displace it. Mostly the fishing kayaks feature built in flush mount and swivel holders while there is also a method of DIY installment. Literally, having four holder means, the four rods can give the same service at the same time. So the rod holders are the foremost feature of a fishing kayak, although sometimes the versatile kayaks don’t feature it like our pick Tarpon 100 and in this case your DIY installment is required to set up the rod holders.
Your paddle is the asset of your kayak. Losing it in the water can be problematic in different ways. At first if the paddle falls in the wavy water, either it is sinkable or not, getting it back to your hand won’t be easy and in this case coming back to the shore can be difficult. Secondly, if the paddle is sinkable and it falls in the water, you would require another purchase. So for the elimination of these problems, the paddle holders can contribute a lot. Because after stop paddling, you can secure it by the paddle holders.
Placing the foot over a small barrier is more comfortable than putting it on nothing. In a kayak, the seat is closely placed over the deck and after sitting on the kayak seat, you need to stretch out your foot and legs in the deck. So if you can’t put the foot over any specific thing, then it can be reasonably problematic for a user. So if you put the foot over a small barrier, it would let you to sit back strongly on the kayak seat with adding incredible comfort. But, make sure either it is adjustable or there are available several braces in a row.
Ten Best Fishing Kayaks For The Money
Want to buy a great fishing kayak? Don’t worry, see here the Ten best fishing kayaks on the market that provide a great value for the money.
|Fishing Kayaks||Materials||Fishing Accessories Carriers||Number Of Rod Holders||Our Ratings||Price|
FeelFree Lure 11.5
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13
Ocean Kayak Trident 13
FeelFree Moken 12.5
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100
|Polyethylene||Yes||No Rod Holders||4.5|
BKC UH-RA220 11.5
Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 110
Perception Pescador Pilot 12.0
BKC UH-TK219 12 foot Tandem
Vibe Kayaks Yellowfin 100
1)FeelFree Lure 11.5
If you want to get a great balance and stability on the rough water, then this FeelFree Lure 11.5 is for you. The large and wider hull of the kayak is made of high density polyethylene that strengthens the kayak excellently. On the other hand, the kayak is very lightweight and weighs only 34 kg while it has also wheels in the keel. So grab the handle and easily pull it onto the edge of water. The kayak features a gravity seat that has comfy paddings with wider adjustability. So you can easily raise up or down your seating position to enjoy the comfort while you wouldn’t feel any problem when you stand up on the kayak.
Moreover, It has a large oval dry storage compartment on the front where you can put the items to keep them dry. The center console is also great for storing the mini gears where you can also mount a fishfinder. It has two rod holders and Uni track rail system that can be used for adjusting the additional rod holders, gps devices and fish finders. Check Our Review Here
Things That We Like:
- Built in rail on both sides ensure no manual action required for making small holes. Two rails can hold fish finders and the numerous rod holders. It also ensures the hull is not going to be damaged because of manual editing.
- The seat is integrated with high density foam that has low memory and it doesn’t become numb for limitless use.
- Flush mount holders for a solid and strong rod placement.
- It has two built in compartments with covers that have locking system to save sensitive items while a rear deck compartment with cords can grab the cooler under the cords.
2)Ocean Kayak Prowler 13
With the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 you can enjoy a quick and fast paddling time through the rough water as the hull is fast and provides a perfect balance you expect on the rough condition of water. The Prowler 13 is specifically designed for fishing and that’s why it has been featured with some great stuffs that really useful for fishing. It has a front hatch that ensures a dry storage system for your items while it is also easy to access. Moreover, the mini storage compartment in the center of the kayak is helpful for storing the gears that you always want to get in very near of your hand.
The Comfort Plus Seat on the kayak has straps with buckle that provide the adjustability to maximize the angler’s comfort. As well, the deck is also molded with foot braces that give the chances to stretch out the legs in the most perfect position. The molded rod holders are also great for mounting the rods that literally amazing for having hands free fishing time. Check Out The Review
Things That We Like:
- The hull is something like canoe with a slim wideness and edgy look base. That’s why it glides on the water very fast and it can move through the toughness of water without tilting down.
- Very fishing specific and if you are an enthusiast of recreational style fishing while you require reaching to all hotspots once after once, then it is ideal for quick arriving.
- No shortened space in the tank to accommodate a large fish finder.
- Whether you are a taller or shorter guy, after taking the seat, you won’t have the problem to find a brace to position the feet.
- A wide and comfortable seat gives the best anatomical support.
3)Ocean Kayak Trident 13
The Ocean Kayak Trident 13 is specifically designed for professional anglers as if they can paddle quickly through the various conditions of the water. The strength polyethylene hull withstands the underwater hazards, so don’t worry about the crack or any damage when you use it on the stream. The bow hatch and other dry and secure storage compartments are very comfortable for putting your items into them securely. On the other hand the oversized tank with bungee on the rear is great for storing the cooler or any drybag.
The Trident 13 from Ocean also includes ACS II seat that hasn’t only cushioned paddings, but also includes the adjustable straps and breathable back as if the sweats can be automatically dried out. Moreover the Mod Pod II in the center is helpful for storing some necessary items and putting your cup. Full Review Here
Things That We Like:
- A pro angler kayak that is constructed with a long hull and 29” wide cockpit to silently slip in the water. It glides amazingly fast and it relatively saves your energy as it doesn’t try to be stuck with the water when you paddle.
- As a pro kayak the toughness withstands any underwater roughness while the incredible density of the hull prevents cracking.
- The compact deck with storage space and comfort seat ensured your necessity of storing the equipments and spending relaxable time with a comfy seat.
- Rod holder, accessory plate and bottle holder for your essentiality.
4)FeelFree Moken 12.5
The FeelFree Moken 12.5 is another exceptional creation from FeelFree that literally has some quality features for the anglers. This stable kayak weighs only 30 kg, so imagine how lightweight the kayak is. Because of the excellent stability and balance the kayak can be greatly controlled on the coastal waters. The FeelFree designed the kayak with Uni track rails for adding additional rod holders, fish finders and other devices, so you don’t need any drilling to make any holes for mounting these items on the kayak.
Literally the kayak has similarity with the FeelFree Lure 11.5, so like that kayak it also includes almost the same features. The Moken 12.5 has a front oval hinge hatch and a center console, so don’t worry to safely carry the items like necessary fishing gears and some foods and snacks. Moreover, the rod holders are perfect for simply mounting the fishing rods to you’re your hands free during fishing. Complete Review Here
Things That We Like:
- It’s the brother of Lure 11.5 that features uni track rails for grabbing all of the extra rod holders and electronic devices like fish finder and GPS.
- Center console to contain personal items while the specific tackle box holders on the side essentially hold and supply the gears in a quick time.
- Standing pad & leash to stand over the deck for any required period.
- Wheels in the keels to easily drag it to portage in the edge of the water.
- The seat has few inches thick paddings with molded high density foam for a softer surface while the recessed channel easily drains out the water.
5)Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100
A comfy seat on a kayak reduces the fatigue and prolongs the fishing time. That’s why the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 features Phase 3 Air Pro Seat for a greater back stability while the seat has air ventilation meshes and drainage system. To store the gears and some crispy snacks and food it has midship and bow orbix hatches that can keep these things safe and dry for long hours. Moreover, the SlideTrax accessory system like Unitrack rail bar also lets you to add the accessories like rod holders and fish finders.
The kayak has been composed of high density polyethylene while the hull is strength and lighter and can provide superior stability in rough waters. It has also a large stern tank with bungee that can perfectly hold the cooler or dry bag.
Things That We Like:
- Versatile, so either you want excursion or fishing, you can depend on the construction of it for different purpose. Although you need a DIY installment to install rod holders.
- The seat looks remarkably fair as the ventilations and thickness both are fine.
- Double boxes with covers to save the gears from water.
- Bungees keep the cooler safe from displacing.
6)BKC UH-RA220 11.5
The BKC UH-RA220 is relatively different as a fishing kayak, but very closed to our first pick Feelfree Lure 11.5. Because the wide deck and remarkable ample dry storage boxes started making it familiarized to all anglers. Because when an angler starts recreational style fishing, it’s undoubtedly not a matter to be finished in one or two hours. For a recreational style fishing in a sea or massive lake, spending 8+ hours of time through searching, catching and using tricks for favorable species isn’t not a time wasting task. But before landing in the water with your kayak, you should gather the stuffs in a place what would be used for casting line to get the lured fish into the fishing cooler.
So, a bunch of accessories you have to gather in the storage spaces and this is where several storage boxes are required to an angler. This BKC UH-RA220 kayak included this one of the foremost requirements while the shapes, spaces and water repellent designs are noticeable. In these three boxes, one can be used for giving a safe environment to the foods that we need to eat at fishing. The wide, comfortable and upright seat on the deck also provides an anatomical support while there isn’t any numb feel what sometimes come from the faulty structure based kayak.
Things That We Like:
- It stays balanced either when you cast the fishing line or you enjoy the game with the lured fishes from the deck. Its reliable stability doesn’t force the kayak to be tipped down when you stand on the deck.
- Adequate boxes with secured covers what offer ample spaces to aid carrying the indispensable stuffs.
- The seat is positioned almost six feet up from the deck while the ample surface with wide backrest accommodates the body compactly.
- Rudder included to fasten the paddling and quick angle changing.
- Tremendous capacity and stability to become friendly with the wavy water.
7)Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 110
You would look for better control (than your previous beginning days in the inshore) when you have finally landed on the waved surface of the water. Although the natural calmness of the water sometimes would be lost because of overflowing wind or stormy environment. So considering all unexpected and natural factors of the sea or offshore, an angler demands high-end control and on kayaking it’s all about excellent maneuvering and tracking ability. So, this kayak with a wide hull and narrower V shape base it tracks almost great like a slim hull kayak while a foot controlled rudder simplifies the task of paddling on the waved & calm water. This rudder is amazingly effective when you paddle to cross the long distance path in the water and when the water breaks down the calmness, you can paddle strongly with the support of rudder.
The specifically molded or designed storage areas for anglers modestly accommodate all certain stuffs whatever an angler would like to arrange entirely in such secured small rooms. On the other hand, if you use Fishfinder for your desired success, then it has the specific point where the device would be stuck and when you want to provide the deserving security to your device, an included lid can instantly do that.
Things That We Like:
- Sit on top kayak with 33” wide and 425 lbs capacity that is undoubtedly remarkable to us as this is rare in a single person kayak. That’s why, its stability made it suitable to be independently floated over the waved water.
- Foot controlled rudder saves lots of efforts to paddle in the moved, waved and long distance path.
- Tracking ability almost similar to a slim kayak as it has the specific narrow base for tracking ability.
- Fishfinder mounting system with a lid for extra security of your device.
- Secured and ample space for the safeness of all certain gears.
8)Perception Pescador Pilot 12.0
I have researched over several fishing kayaks of the Perception and I have found their new extraordinary invention that has been exceptional from their all other manufactured vessels of the anglers. I instantly moved to Youtube to analyze some public’s reviews of Pescador Pilot 12.0 as I was in the doubts of stability. Although, it would hold the first position when you test it on the flat water. But, the doubt was in the ability of maintaining coastal waved water. After watching its performance on the coastal water, I have made my decision to highlight it on my recommendations of the top fishing kayaks. The 33”+ wide with thickened 16” height of the hull and 12.5’ length can strongly establish its hull on the water.
The 216 kg capacity won’t discourage an angler to load all the storage boxes with huge stuffs while if you place a loaded cooler with ices and numerous fishes under the bungee cord, it won’t act like to be unstable. A built in rudder can create angling quickly with your request while the pilot drive pedal fastens the paddling speed what can be paddled like a bicycle pedal. If you use this kayak in shallow water and you have any concern about the Pilot Drive, you can stow it in a secure place of the hull.
Things That We Like:
- No narrowed stability! So its usage can be started from calm water and ended in rough coastal water while the ample wideness maintains the balance.
- Rudder included for making the paddling easier while Pilot Drive provides foot paddling option.
- Open and multiple secured boxes for containing the tackle boxes, coolers, foods and anything else.
- Seat with adjustability and rail either for positioning or repositioning.
9)BKC UH-TK219 12 foot Tandem
Fishing isn’t all about loading your cooler with lots of fishes, but also it is about the excursion, fun and creating unforgettable memories. Fishing alone in the coastal water or somewhere always isn’t the part of an excursion or great memories. Moreover, you may always tell about your incredible fishing experiences to your friend or colleague, but you can’t make a chance to make it live with them directly in the desirable spots because of the limited space on your kayak. That’s why, the BKC UH-TK219, that doesn’t only accommodate two, but also up to three people. With two conventional kayak seats and a molded seat on the deck it guaranteedly accommodates three people.
It has molded braces right few meters ahead the seats where it can cradle the feet for the optimal comfort that you deserve to stay on the deck for a long time. You can adjust swiveling rod holder in the deck with pre adjusted base while the four flush mount holders can tightly accommodate the rods. The paddle parks in it also cradle the paddles when they aren’t being stoked to the water.
Things That We Like:
- Great for recreational fishing with your colleague or friends when it’s all about making some amazing fishing memories.
- Although the stability is not remarkably suitable for waved water, but it can be tracked perfectly in the moved, flat and minimal wavy water.
- Paddle parks efficiently secure the paddles.
- Rod holders and compartments with hatches as if the splashes can’t be problematic for the gears or sensitive stuffs.
10)Vibe Kayaks Yellowfin 100
The Vibe Kayaks Yellowfin 100 is the brother of Sea Ghost 110. Although it is a little bit smaller than than the Sea Ghost 110, but it holds almost the same level of stability. In summer, if you look for a weekend water excursion, then the same kayak would be turned into a recreational kayak. But, for fishing it can be marked as a reliable and decent fishing kayak to maintain the calmness of inshore and the roughness of offshore. Although, its tracking ability is a little bit slower than a slim hull kayak, but the similar stability wouldn’t be found in a slim hull kayak. The spacious deck eliminates the lack of stability and it guarantees like the hull won’t act to be imbalanced because of improper body balancing or the behave of rough water.
As an angler you deserve to sit in a place hours after hours with receiving the comfort of the seat. This Yellowfin 100 has that option for angler while the position adjustability of the backrest can be optimized by the buckle adjusted straps as if fining and tuning become easier. The seat also uses such fabric where the layers of meshes cool down the heat and reduce moisturizing to longevity the time in fishing.
Things That We Like:
- The hull isn’t like something that can’t resist the abrasion and the possible impacts of shallow water. The hull doesn’t become inferior neither for the effect of saltwater, nor the rays of sunlight.
- The seat is smooth and the fabric is comfortable while the decent range of adjustments clarifies your backrest position on where your comfort is hidden.
- The ample deck single handedly tackles all the imbalances during fishing and the hits of water.
- Foot braces with adjustments allow you finding the locations on where your feet should take the position.
After reading the detailed specifications of every kayak on the list, now you may have the idea why I am saying these five fishing kayaks are best on the market. Although in some cases the price of them can exceed your budget, but end of day you would pay for their great quality.