If you want to go for a fishing expedition without a life vest or jacket, that does mean you are insecure in the water. Because you can’t make sure there won’t happen any accident, because the condition of the ocean or stream will not be always same. So to be safe from drowning or any accident in the water you must wear a life jacket. When you have a life jacket in the water, no matter how dangerous the condition of water, at least you can be confident that you won’t be drowned under the water if you fall down from the kayak, boat or canoe. Actually the weather of the ocean can be changed anytime and there would have probability of facing the big waves. So to beat any unfair condition of the water and safely back on the shore you must wear a life jacket.
- 1 10 Best Life Jackets For Kayak Fishing | Our Picks
- 1.1 1)Onyx Kayak Fishing Life Jacket
- 1.2 2)Amairne-made Boat Buoyancy Aid Sailing Jacket
- 1.3 3)MTI Adventurewear Kayak Fishing PFD
- 1.4 4)Stohlquist Fisherman Personal Floatation Device
- 1.5 5)NRS Chinook Mesh Back Fishing PFD
- 1.6 6)Stohlquist Women’s Flo
- 1.7 7)Lixada Fly Fishing Vest
- 1.8 8)ONYX MoveVent Sports Life Vest
- 1.9 9)Old Town Lure Angler Men’s Life Jacket
- 1.10 10)FLYDWV Fly Fishing Life Jacket
- 2 What We Suggest To Consider
- 3 Conclusion
10 Best Life Jackets For Kayak Fishing | Our Picks
You shouldn’t have any worries if you wear a life jacket for your fishing expedition and if you want to buy a life jacket for kayak fishing, this post would help you to discover the right jacket you want for fishing. These jackets are coast guard approved and would work as a true life saver in any circumstance of the water. (If you are a woman the jacket on the number six would be suitable for you)
|Fishing Life Jackets||Core Materials||Holding Capacity||Suitable For||Our Ratings||Price|
Onyx Kayak Fishing Life Jacket
|Tapered Foam and 400-Denier Nylon||100 Kg+||Men||4.7|
Amairne-made Boat Buoyancy Aid Sailing Jacket
|600D MAX Waterproof Terylene Oxford and EPE||100 Kg+||Men||4.8|
MTI Adventurewear Kayak Fishing PFD
|300D Polyester Shell and Foam(PVC Free)||100 Kg+||Men||4.4|
Stohlquist Fisherman Personal Floatation Device
|500D, 200D Nylon and PVC Free Gaia Foam||100 Kg+||Men||4.6|
NRS Chinook Mesh Back Fishing PFD
|200 D Urethane Coated Ripstop Nylon and Soft PlushFIT foam||100 Kg+||Men||4.6|
Stohlquist Women’s Flo
|400D, 200D Ripstop Outer Shell and PE Foam||100 Kg+||Women||4.5|
Lixada Fly Fishing Vest
|Rips Top Polyester Shell, EPE Foam||95 Kg||Men||4.7|
ONYX MoveVent Sports Life Vest
|Nylon, Flotation Foam||Vary With Size||Men, Women||4.7|
Old Town Lure Angler
|240D Ripstop Nylon, Flotation Foam and Mesh||Vary With Size||Men||4.8|
FLYDWV Fly Fishing Life Jacket
|High-Quality Suspension Foam, 210D Oxford Cloth||Unknown||Men||4.5|
1)Onyx Kayak Fishing Life Jacket
The Onyx Kayak Fishing is originally designed to give a complete support for angling. The jacket isn’t only a thing that just will keep you up in the water, but also it has separate pockets that are suitable for holding the tackle box, fly fishing reel, fishing line and other very needed accessories. It has also the lash tabs that are helpful for holding your knife and whistle. Literally the level of ability to store multiple items of fishing of this jacket is surprising what actually an angler wants. Moreover, you need perfect comfort on the different kind of activities of fishing or kayaking. That’s why up it or down or tight up by six adjustable straps. Even when you are wearing this jacket you can enjoy the extreme reliability because of the mesh covered inside. It will keep the inside cold and air breathable.
Things We Like:
- Multiple adjustment straps to easily increase and decrease the size from different angles.
- High foam back ensures you can perfectly sit back on a high seat of the kayak.
- Bunch of pockets and loops for essentials.
- One touch push drop down tray pocket as if you can get a quick and easy access to a small tackle box.
- Lash tab included to hold the knife and whistle.
2)Amairne-made Boat Buoyancy Aid Sailing Jacket
I would recommend this life jacket for those guys who can’t exceed their limited budget. But don’t worry about the quality and its ability to protect you from drowning. This life vest is composed of few high quality materials like 600D Max Waterproof Terylene Oxford and EPE foam for a perfect combination. On the other hand it is able to hold any guy on the water who weighs under 110 kgs. The straps with buckles on the jacket will let you to easily tighten up or down with the body while the crotch straps would prevent it from pulling up and off the body. That’s why enjoy the kayaking or fishing expedition confidently with wearing this jacket. And finally the multi pockets on the jacket are great for angling as they can hold lots of items.
Things We Like:
- Made with tough and waterproof fabric to beat any abuse.
- Pockets on front and back side to hold the essential gears.
- Can keep afloat any person who is less than 110 kg.
- Straps on the shoulder and waist will force it to fit with your body.
- Crotch strap ensures the jacket will always tend to remain fit with your body.
3)MTI Adventurewear Kayak Fishing PFD
It comes from MTI Adventurewear and with 4 pockets in front of the jacket it is fully designed with a great usability for angling. The pockets of the jacket especially those are on the lower part have ample space that can be simply used for fishing necessities while the D-rings on the front and back of the jacket are great for attaching some additional and necessary gears. You can easily get the jacket in your body with enough fittings as the buckles on the center are connected with shoulder straps that can be used for easily tightening up. With fishing on the ocean, river or stream It is suitable for multiple activities in the water.
Things We Like:
- Made for boating, kayaking, fishing, sailing and tested to beat the abuse.
- Multiple front pockets create the space you need
- Center buckle closure with side and shoulder strap for the maximum fit.
- Available in large and small size for different height of the people.
- Lightweight and paddings on the shoulder to reduce pressure.
4)Stohlquist Fisherman Personal Floatation Device
The Stohlquist Fisherman Personal Floatation Device has been designed for an adventurous fishing expedition as it can give a powerful flotation service on the rough condition. To ensure that your body will be top of the water it used 500 denier Cordura shell and has the 200 denier oxford liner that not only make this jacket ultra sturdy, but also can keep superiorly raised your body up on the water. The jacket also comes with several ample pockets, one is on the backside and twos are on the front. These pockets are undoubtedly useful for keeping fishing accessories while the lash tabs are great for holding some very needed handy accessories like nippers and pliers. Actually, this is a safe way for carrying the accessories without any possibility of losing them. Like the other jackets of the list it also comes with adjustable shoulder straps for an excellent adjustment.
Things We Like:
- Ventilations and softness would make you feel great.
- Has specific sections for scissors, pliers and whistle.
- Front pockets with the internal compartment for tackle boxes and gears.
- Back side is ergonomically designed to easily accommodate the kayak seat.
- Buckles and straps for a reliable fit.
5)NRS Chinook Mesh Back Fishing PFD
The NRS Chinook Mesh Back Fishing PFD features 7 front pockets including two large and several mini pockets as if you can carry everything like the tackle boxes, nippers, fishing lines, retractors and fishing pliers for a fishing trip. The 8 adjustment points on the jacket let you to tighten up the straps properly until it fits with your body. It is designed for the extreme comfortability as the Soft PlushFIT foam on it will ensure that you will enjoy an unsurpassed comfort. Moreover, it not only ended up by adding few D-rings and pockets, but also the coil tool retractor on the jacket is great for clipping the additional tool. As well, the mesh lower back on the jacket is also great to keep you warm and protect you from sweats.
Things We Like:
- Integrated rod holder to carry out the fishing rod.
- The front pockets are designed to secure fishing line, reel, knife, pliers, GPS and tackle boxes.
- PlushFit foam ensures your body will be in comfort.
- Ventilation on back side absorbs air.
- Able to easily accommodate any kayak’s seat.
6)Stohlquist Women’s Flo
The girl who is interested in kayak fishing, then this Stohlquist Women’s Flo Jacket is for you. In front of the jacket it has two large pockets for safely holding the some mini gears you need for fishing while this versatile life jacket is great for several kinds of activities you want to enjoy in the water. It is crafted with the mesh in inside and the back of the jacket has a peat with mesh. Such a great craftsmanship ensures a superior air breathability for your body. For a perfect flotation it uses denier ripstop shell and oxford liner and PE foam, that not only has greater ability for flotation, but also can provide the coolness and comfortability for your body.
Things We Like:
- Inner mesh lining to bring an extra comfort as it can reduce the temperature.
- Padded waistband decreases the pressure on the waist after wearing.
- Supportive foam cups to always keep you in mood.
- Very breathable as the air can enter easily by an open side.
- Strong and flexible outer shell to last for a long time.
7)Lixada Fly Fishing Vest
Literally, it’s designed to hold so many conventional accessories and a couple of tackle boxes. It offers an amazing craftsmanship considering the needs of kayak fishing, fly fishing and canoe fishing. Its four front pockets are able to contain a couple of tackle boxes while the zippers will simply secure them. The accessory attachment ladders and loops ensure you are able to quickly get an access of anything you hang there. It has a specific rod hanging loop to simply hold an additional fishing rod while the side mesh pockets would be perfect to contain the small gears. Aside the addition of the mesh, it is crafted with thickened foams in all contact points to keep you comfortable.
Things We Like:
- It could simply keep a person afloat who weighs under 95 kg while the size would fit with most adult people.
- Tough and flexible ripstop polyester shell to make it strong and comfortable.
- Zippered pockets keep anything secured you put there.
- Loop and attachment ladders for the most usable accessories.
- Large chest pockets for additional gears.
- Adjustable shoulder strap for a custom and snug fit.
8)ONYX MoveVent Sports Life Vest
No doubt it’s such a vest which has been approved by U.S coast guard. So, you may depend on it for the ability to keep you afloat on the crucial moments. Although it doesn’t offer a couple of pockets to contain a bunch of accessories. So, you might have to depend on a single zippered pocket. I think it is wiser to keep you afloat than containing certain fishing accessories. When it comes to spending a full sunny day in a kayak to fish, the vest would keep you cool and dry. That’s why, it’s equipped with mesh panels for a perfect circulation of the temperature and making an entry of the air. The neoprene comfort pads on the shoulder with buckles are also perfect for comfort and a snug fit.
Things We Like:
- A quality vest that is approved by U.S coast guard for the ability to keep you up on the water.
- Comfort pads on the shoulder to make a comfortable contact point.
- Mesh panel circulates the air to keep the user dry and cool.
- Smart buckles on the shoulder to ensure that it can simply fit on your body.
- A whistle and reflective material to keep the user visible.
9)Old Town Lure Angler Men’s Life Jacket
The manufacturer specifically made it for kayak fisherman and that’s why they kept everything perfect in the design for maximum comfort during kayak fishing. The high back construction of this vest ensures you will still be able to sit back perfectly in the tall kayak seats. On the other hand, the ventilation on the back side with mesh fabric provides a cool and comfortable feel with reducing the skin contact and increasing airflow. It has a couple of zippered and non-zippered pockets to carry out a lot of gears while the D-rings and loops would be great for the accessories like whistle and pliers. The Lure Angler’s Air Comfort system will also reduce the temperature to keep you sweat free.
Things We Like:
- Made with ripstop nylon to beat any abuse during your fishing.
- Air Comfort system reduces the friction from contact point and forces the moisture to escape elsewhere.
- High back construction will let you sit comfortably on the tall kayak seats.
- Mesh pockets and multiple zippered pockets with external loop and D-rings for your all necessary gears.
- Multiple sizes to fit with the different size of the body.
10)FLYDWV Fly Fishing Life Jacket
It’s a versatile jacket and designed to use for kayaking, boating, fishing, surfing and almost any kind of water sports. The large pockets can simply secure the essentials like tackle boxes while the mesh pockets would be perfect to hold cell phone, sunglasses and GPS. It also features a large rear pocket for any large item like tab or an additional tackle box. The vest uses high quality suspension foam that has the great ability to easily hold the user over the water. You could discover an emergency whistle in the vest that will help you to make an emergency call. A reflective strip also would be helpful to keep you visible.
Things We Like:
- High quality suspension foam for the ultimate support on crucial time.
- Versatile for activities like fishing, kayaking, boating and other water sports.
- Secured pockets can make a secured space for tackle boxes.
- Mesh pockets for cell phone, sunglasses and other gears.
- Reflective strips and whistle for an emergency call and visibility.
What We Suggest To Consider
You would go wrong with a faulty life jacket in the circumstance of drowning or swimming. So before picking your life jacket, make sure it will work as a true life saver and actually having some ideas over these points can help you a lot.
Pockets For Carrying The Fishing Gears
Having the pockets on an ordinary jacket may not important, but when you are choosing a life jacket for fishing, then it must have several pockets to hold the tackle box, fishing reel, fishing line, nippers, pliers and knife. So you can get these handy tools in your very near and if the jacket has D-rings, lash or retractor, then these things would work helpfully from a side to reach the tools in your hand very quickly without losing them. That’s why make sure your jacket at least includes two ample pockets while having the D-rings, lash and retractor is plus.
Adjustable Straps To Properly Tighten Up
Fitting a life jacket perfectly to your body is another requirement. Because wearing a loose jacket isn’t comfortable and it can create some problem when you try to swim with it. In this case even you can lose your jacket in the water that would be very unfair. So the straps with buckles on the shoulder and waist would help you to properly tighten up until it is fitting well with your body. That’s why, make sure you got the jacket with adjustable straps.
Coast Guard Approved
From a research it has been proved the jackets with coast guard approved work more successfully than the jackets with non-coast guard approved. Because these manufacturers always go through the testing of their products by the water life experts. They test the quality and ability of the jackets for keeping you up on the water and approved it. So you must ensure that you have the jacket that is coast guard approved.
Mesh Crafted Inside To Keep You Dry
When you wear a life jacket, you don’t expect that would be a reason of uncomfortability. That’s why the mesh on the life jacket actually can increase the air breathability and protect you from the sweats. When you are going for a fishing hunt on a sunny day, this feature of the jacket would keep you cool and dry and can prolong your fishing time.
Honestly, these six best life jackets for kayaking have the right design and ability to protect you from any unfairness of the water while their specific features for the anglers and fisherman will provide a great advantage to carry and handle all their accessories. So any of the model of this list would provide lots of advantages for fishing and keep you ultimately safe from the unfairness.